Wednesday, March 9, 2011

40 Days and 40 Nights

Once in a while I feel the need to break out of the 140 character limit prison and write a useless blog entry. I am not a great writer so do not judge this blog/entry on grammar and word flow.

The other day I posted a mini rant on facebook about Lent. I am not Catholic but a lot of my friends are. Seeing a bunch of 'I am giving up _____ for Lent' posts just annoys the crap out of me. Here was my status update:

"People who give up self serving things for Lent crack me up. Oh noooo, you are depriving yourself of Dr. Pepper and ice cream for 40 days? Enjoy the weight loss. Great 'sacrifice'."


My main argument is that 90% of my friends are giving up things that will benefit them in some way. It has nothing to do with getting closer with God or sacrificing something important to them. If chocolate and soft drinks rule your life, I think you have more important issues to deal with. I thought I was going to get hammered by all my self-righteous friends but no one said a word. Maybe my post made them think twice. Maybe it didnt. At least I got it off my chest.

Ok ranting over. Now I will go watch 40 Days and 40 Nights over and over. Josh Hartnett is a very talented actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment